Home

Thursday 11 August 2016

Adding Length to Sleeves: DIY

Okay, so I'm revealing some wardrobe shame here....  I've been wearing this coat for years.  I bought it because it was on sale, I love the colour, it was on sale, it's weather & toddler proof and did I mention it was on sale?!

At the time of the purchase my arms were the same length they are now... yet I still bought it although it was way too short in the sleeves.  Sleeves are kind of an important part of a coat!

I finally decided it was time to do something about it, thanks in part to being given some knit fabric which is almost the same gorgeous colour of my coat!  This is such a simple DIY that I'm ashamed it took me so long to do it!

Here's how:

Take a rectangle of fabric the width of your cuff opening + seam allowance (1.5cm) x 2 the length you want the new cuff to be.

Sew up the side seam, right sides together, and fold in half.  Tuck the 2 raw edges (knits don't fray so you can just leave them) inside the coat sleeve and sew around end of sleeve.  Done!  As the fabric cuffs I added were knit fabric, I stretched them a little for a snug fit.  My wrists will finally be warm!

Before... hello wrists!

After... warm wrists!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Allison!

    This is an awesome trick! Thank you!! I used to add length on some of my jeans by cutting apart jeans I didn't wear anymore but I have never done it with sleeves! I never really knew how to until I read this article. It's genius! Since almost all my coats and sweaters have too short sleeves (including the one I am wearing right now as I am looking down while I am typing) I will totally use your trick!

    Thanks so much!
    All the best,

    Caroline @ PrettyLong.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Caroline! I think adding to jeans is brilliant; I'd never thought of doing that. I'm so happy we can share tall girl refashioning ideas!! x Allison

      Delete
  2. What a great refashion trick and how nice that you happened upon some fabric that matched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth!! The matching fabric was really the motivation I needed to fix this hot mess! x Allison

      Delete